What We Do
Our philosophy is based upon training and building well-rounded athletes and young men. This means self-discipline is expected for athletes who wish to excel in sports, school and life. Strength training, football techniques, academics, community service and sportsmanship and integrity all play vital roles in our training programs.
Training Better Athletes (TBA) has developed rigorous training fundamentals and support training equipment specifically for serious-minded football players; we are the “Go To” training program for talented offensive linemen seeking to excel in middle and high school programs, and prepare for their collegiate-level careers.
Who We Are
Coach Ron Sowers
TBA co-founder Ron Sowers played at Arizona State University and briefly in the USFL, NFL before starting his coaching career at ASU under Coach Daryl Rogers. Coach Sowers also coached the O-line at Scottsdale Community College and several state-championship high schools in the valley. During this time, Coach Sowers started developing equipment that would build muscle memory, strength and put players in the correct pass-pro position. He incorporated this equipment into many of his personal and team training sessions over a number of years. This combination of technique, methodology and great coaching has paid off as many former students received collegiate football scholarships.
- Mountain View HS first undefeated team 1978, selected to multiple all-star games
- ASU Team Captain, 4 year letter winner, all PAC-10 O-Lineman senior year
- Offensive Line Coach at ASU from 1984-85
- Centennial HS Offensive Line Coach 5 time state champions
- Professional Teams – Arizona Wranglers, K.C. Chiefs & San Antonio Gunslingers
Coach Chris Barrett: Defensive Line Coach
As a two sport athlete (basketball and football) at Tustin High school
Coach Barrett was a High School All
American football player and the number 4 rated TE in the country. He
attended University of Southern California (USC)
- USC he was a 2x National Champion, and 4x PAC10
- Coach Barrett started his coaching career in
2009 at Servite High School in
Anaheim, CA as the Defensive
- In 2011 he was the strength Coach and defensive line coach at Lakewood high
school, until 2012 when he became the first official college
football coach in China. Coach Barrett started college football
at 6 different universities in China.
- In 2016 he became the Game Development Manager for the China Arena Football
League until 2018 when he became the Kinetics Teacher at Pat
Tillman middle school. Coach Barrett is now a PE teacher and Defensive Line coach at Pinnacle High School
“Every HS O-Linemen who has any desire to be great (and/or play at the next level) should be participating in Coach Sowers TBA program! It’s the real deal!”
Coach David Sedmark