What We Do
Our philosophy is based upon training and building well-rounded athletes and young men. This means self-discipline is expected for athletes who wish to excel in sports, school and life. Strength training, football techniques, academics, community service and sportsmanship and integrity all play vital roles in our training programs.
Training Better Athletes (TBA) has developed rigorous training fundamentals and support training equipment specifically for serious-minded football players; we are the “Go To” training program for talented offensive linemen seeking to excel in middle and high school programs, and prepare for their collegiate-level careers.
Who We Are
Coach Ron Sowers
TBA co-founder Ron Sowers played at Arizona State University and briefly in the USFL, NFL before starting his coaching career at ASU under Coach Daryl Rogers. Coach Sowers also coached the O-line at Scottsdale Community College and several state-championship high schools in the valley. During this time, Coach Sowers started developing equipment that would build muscle memory, strength and put players in the correct pass-pro position. He incorporated this equipment into many of his personal and team training sessions over a number of years. This combination of technique, methodology and great coaching has paid off as many former students received collegiate football scholarships.
- Mountain View HS first undefeated team 1978, selected to multiple all-star games
- ASU Team Captain, 4 year letter winner, all PAC-10 O-Lineman senior year
- Offensive Line Coach at ASU from 1984-85
- Centennial HS Offensive Line Coach 5 time state champions
- Professional Teams – Arizona Wranglers, K.C. Chiefs & San Antonio Gunslingers
Coach Sel Dorcoo: Defensive Line Coach
Coach Sel Dorcoo is an established fixture in the Valley specializing in coaching the Defensive Line. He played locally at Scottsdale Community College, then later earned a scholarship to Sacramento State University. Over the decades, he has trained and mentored many young athletes who have gone on to play college football. Coach Dorcoo brings a high-energy, “can do” attitude to training young leaders, a natural fit for the TBA program.
- Defensive Line/OLB Coach, Centennial High School 2011-2012
- Defensive Line Coach, Boulder Creek High School 2013
- Coached Multiple D-Linemen who earned College Scholarships
- Coached Multiple D-Linemen who earned All-Region and All-State
“Every HS O-Linemen who has any desire to be great (and/or play at the next level) should be participating in Coach Sowers TBA program! It’s the real deal!”
Coach David Sedmark